Saturday, October 4, 2008

My First Blog Ever

As the title suggests, this will be my first blog! I am sitting at the home of Lil Sis who is helping me to get started. Not sure how often I will be able to blog but hope I find it as therapeutic as she does. I admire the fact that, busy as she is, Lil Sis blogs every single day and I can hardly wait to read them.

I must be one of very few people without Internet service at home, so my blogging time will be limited to the rare nights at work when I have spare time. Yes, I said nights at work. I work in the transportation and logistics industry which runs 24/7. I prefer working nights because there are fewer people in the building . . . and no bosses!

Wednesday night I bid farewell to a co-worker who will be leaving for Iraq soon. It was a sad moment for us all to see this young man leave. But I couldn't help being proud of him. In fact, he had reasons to get out of going if he chose to: his father has just been diagnosed with leukemia, and his sister is chronically ill with some disease I was afraid to ask about. I pointed out to him that he might not have to go, and he agreed; but he said it was something he felt strongly about and was dedicated to. This made me feel even more proud, and I told him as an American I truly appreciate what he is doing.

I'm not a very political person, so I won't say whether I agree with the war in Iraq or that I even understand it any more than I did the Vietnam War. I guess I feel that once we have committed to do something we need to follow through . . . and win. In 1969 every "man" I knew was in Vietnam or on the way. They all returned, but some of them were never the same.

1 comment:

Bragger said...

Welcome to the blog world! Thank you for going with me to buy my new laptop. If I don't like it, of course it's your fault.